Facilitator: Sofie Dieu (website)
27th July 2019, 10am to 4pm, Upstairs studio
Suitable for all levels, this workshop has a strong emphasis on Australian native plants or succulents, depending on the theme chosen by the partner organisation. This workshop is ideal for artists interested to approach floral painting in a detailed, yet creative way that leaves room for personal interpretation.
In this floral workshop, you will develop your own visual lexicon to create your personal vision of Australian native flowers or succulents. In the morning, you will be introduced to the subtle art of layering, playing with light and darkness as well as texture, to create stunning backgrounds, on which you will later paint the flowers of your choice. You will also discover how to build a personal way of rendering flowers by analysing the architecture of the plants you will have chosen. In the afternoon, you will experiment with white ink detailing, using brushes and pen, to add depth and contrast to your paintings. A short exhibition will be organised by the end of the workshop, for everyone to enjoy each others’ work. This workshop also includes tips for composition, archival arts, and how to create in series while remaining creative and avoiding repetitiveness.
By the end of the 6 hours workshop you will have produced:
- one A4 painting, on watercolour paper with your own floral art
- one A4 experimental painting on a different paper quality and surface than watercolour paper
- one or two practice sketch pages to keep preciously as a reminder of the creative process for future reference
- one A3 painting (or more if you are prolific!)
PARTICIPANTS MUST BRING:
- 1 x A4 and 1 x A3 watercolour paper sheets for final works, 3x A4 photocopy paper sheets for practice. Please bring more if you feel productive!
- 2x brushes size 2 or 3 (1 for ink, 1 for white ink), 2 large brushes (1 for water, 1 for glue)
- liquid craft glue (25ml)
- apron, rags, absorbant towel paper, newspaper to protect the table
- 2 x large containers for water and glue, 2 x as small as you can find containers for ink
- plants or flowers of your choice
- notebook + pen + HB or 2B pencil